Patio awnings can give you and your home protection from the elements such as sun and light rain. Once storm season hits, you need to protect your awnings, which may not withstand extreme weather. The type of environment your home is located will dictate which awnings you should install, as well as associated maintenance needed during extreme weather. Here are three types of weather that can cause major damage and how to protecting your awnings.
If wind gets a hold of your awnings, they can end up with damage or even be pulled off of your home. Windy weather or high winds associated with storms are intermittent and can make taking down and putting back up awnings a pain. If you live somewhere where extreme winter weather can include wind, having retractable window awnings is the best bet so that you can retract when needed, and not have to take down completely before every storm.
If you live in a location with heavy snow, this can pile on window awnings causing awnings to sag, rip, or even pull or detach from the house. Damage from awning snow pileup to your exterior walls and window frames can be avoided. Metal awnings are the way to go if you live in an area with winter snow, which will be sturdy enough to withstand snow and are designed to discourage snow from settling. Checking awnings should be part of your routine after a snowstorm.
Prolonged Rain and Fog
If you live in an area that is soggy for most of winter, awnings might not seem be in immediate danger of damage like they would be in wind or snow. Wet weather can lead to other problems, and over time the damage to awnings can be just as bad. Damp weather that hangs in the air can cause deterioration of canvas awnings while mold and mildew accumulates over the season. You may want to consider taking down for the season, but if awnings are serving the purpose of rain protection, installing awnings made of synthetic fabric that are mold-resistant will help.
Awnings can be extremely sturdy and might be able to hold up to most storms, but if there is any way that you can lessen damage you might as well take the precautions. Securing awnings or maintaining them through the winter months will give you peace of mind and keep awnings sturdy and ready for the summer months. For replacement awnings, be sure to contact professionals, such as those from Lehman Awning Co.Learn More
Washing machines are often considered one of the most important appliances in every household, making it important for you to take special care of it to prevent expensive repairs down the road. Luckily, many repairs can be avoided by focusing on routine maintenance. The following five tips can all help keep your washing machine in good working order without any complications.
Choose the Ideal Laundry Detergent
Most people choose laundry detergent based on the scent or the type of clothing that they typically wash, but it’s also a good idea to pick detergent based on what’s best for your washing machine. For example, specific types of washing machines may require their own unique type of detergent. This is especially important for high-efficiency washing machines, making it a good idea to pick the right detergent for your machine.
Select the Right Speed for the Load
Choosing too rough of a washing speed can be bad for your washing machine, especially if you don’t have the machine as full as it should be. Selecting the gentlest speed possible for your clothing should help in extending the lifetime of your washing machine.
Empty Your Machine After Use
An easy way to extend the condition of your washing machine is to remove clothing as soon as they’ve been washed. This is because mildew can begin to form once your clothing has been washed, making it necessary to do a deep clean later. Cleaning your washing machine can be a hassle, so it’s best to take preventative measures so that mold won’t become an issue.
Take Care of the Door Seal
The door seal is responsible for keeping the water inside the machine, making it a good idea to keep the seal in good condition. Luckily, this is as easy as checking weekly for any problems with the seal so that it can repaired as soon as an issue arises.
Make a Habit of Cleaning the Filter
The filter on your washing machine is responsible for trapping lint, hair, and other items that may get trapped in the wash. By removing the filter regularly and taking care of anything that’s become trapped in it, you can ensure that the machine will keep running properly.
While repairs may be necessary at some point in the lifetime of your washing machine, you can help it run efficiently by making a habit out of maintenance. The above tips will help guide you through some of the maintenance services that you can handle on your own. To learn more, contact a company like Prompt Appliance Services, Inc.Learn More
As a homeowner, decorating your space is important to ensure that the space is appealing, functional, and comfortable to live in. It can be difficult to decide how to decorate some rooms, however, especially when they are small. For example, a small dining room can be difficult to decorate since you are more limited on table options, as well as other design aspects to ensure that the space flows instead of feeling cramped. Here’s what you should know about decorating your small dining room:
By using these decorating tips for your small dining room, furniture and all, you can be sure that you are going to have the best outcome and love the way your dining room is designed for many years to comeLearn More
A common problem with a clothes dryer is the drive belt either slips or breaks. This is a repair that normally needs only hand tools. Repairing it yourself can save money and takes only a couple hours of time.
1. Find the brand and model number from the manufacturers tag. It might be easiest to take a picture with your cell phone of the entire tag in case the appliance parts supplier needs more information. The user’s manual that came with the dryer may identify the model as well.
2. You can now order parts from the manufacturer or from an appliance parts company online, or find a local appliance parts supplier. Once you have the new belt, you are ready to begin the repair.
3. The tools necessary are likely to be a Philips type screwdriver, a flat bit screw driver, a pair of pliers, a large flat bit screwdriver or flat pry bar and either a ¼” or 5/16″ nut driver. You may also want a yardstick to prop up the top of the dryer as you are working. A second person nearby may be useful when two hands are not enough.
4. First, disconnect the dryer from electrical power by unplugging the cord from the socket. If it is a gas dryer, you should not attempt to disconnect the gas line, but close the valve that is near the dryer. Disconnect the dryer vent pipe. Now, pull the dryer far enough away from the wall and other objects that you can work comfortably.
5. Open the top of the dryer. Most dryers open from the front with a hinge at the rear. You may have to remove screws, often through the dryer vent. Now carefully pry to pop the front of the top loose from the spring clips. You may need to disconnect the door switch wire to open it fully. Prop it open to the rear.
6. Take the front of the dryer off. Pull straight up. If it will not slide easily, remove screws along the bottom of the panel. Hold the drum, pull the front of the dryer up and remove it from the dryer and set it aside. Lower the drum. You might need to use a block to prop it. Pull the drum out through the front of the dryer. Now is a good time to remove any old lint.
7. Install the new belt around the drum in the same position it was before. You should see a mark made by the old belt. Loop the belt around the drive pulley and tensioner.
8. Replace the front panel. Hold the drum and slide the front of the dryer over the opening of the drum, making sure the felt seal is not damaged. A second person may come in handy for this. Now slide it back down in place. Replace any screws. Check that the dryer turns freely.
9. Replace the top of the dryer and any screws that you removed. Reconnect the dryer vent, and move it back in place. Plug it in, and test to be certain it works. If not, check that you reconnected the door switch and try again. You should now have a working dryer.
If you need help along the way or find that this DIY repair is too complicated for you, call an appliance repair service, like Appliance Tech Repair LLC by Frank Lecato.Learn More
If you have a party or get-together coming up soon, you may be planning on making your own. If so, create these homemade votive house lights using pint-sized mason jars and sand.
What You Will Need
Before you make a basic light, you will need to gather the following supplies.
Directions For Making A Basic Light
Now that you have what you need, follow the directions below for making a basic mason jar light.
Ideas For Personalizing Your Light
After making a basic light, decorate it to personalize it with your own unique touch. Below are a few ideas to get you started.
These mason jar lights will add a warm touch to your event. However, if you decide you do not wish to make your own lights, you may want to find a home and garden center that offers unique lighting fixtures.Learn More